RYA First Aid Course (1 Day )
The RYA First Aid Training Course is designed to provide a working knowledge of first aid for all those who go afloat, on inland waters or up to 60 miles offshore. The syllabus is based on the recommendations of the HSE and the MCA.
The RYA First Aid Training Course certificate is valid for 3 years and fulfils the requirements for:
- The MCA Code of Practice for skippers of small commercial vessels up to category 2, including boatmasters.
- The senior first aid certificate for offshore racers subject to ISAF regulations on first aid training (OSR 4.08.4).
- All RYA practical instructors.
By the end of the RYA First Aid Training Course the student should be able to:
- Perform CPR to current protocols, and understand the differential for drowning.
- Understand the importance of the recovery position and the need to modify it for a small space.
- Apply direct pressure to a wound to control bleeding.
- Understand the term shock, recognise and treat it, with particular reference to internal and external bleeding.
- Understand the treatment for cold shock and hypothermia following immersion and/or exposure.
- Recognise the signs of a reduced level of response, with particular reference to serious head injuries.
- Choose suitable first aid equipment for their boat.
- Understand how to get medical advice or assistance by radio.
- Understand how to prepare for the evacuation of a casualty by helicopter.
Also be aware of the general treatment for:
- breathing difficulties, chest pain, seasickness, diabetic emergency, anaphylaxis, hyperthermia, fractures, seizures and burns
- Skippers of MCA Coded Vessels only: Be aware of the content and use of a category C first aid kit, including the pocket mask.
The cost of the course includes:
- RYA First Aid Manual
- FREE Onsite Parking
- Training Pack & RYA Certificate
- AED Practice
SPR Promise: Once a course has been advertised we will not cancel the course due to Numbers.
If you do not see a course that suits your dates contact us and
we do our best to accommodate you.